Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Highlights - June

Ah, June was a great month. Early in the month I drove home to South Florida to visit my parents and pick up all of my art festival gear. During my visit we went on a four night cruise and it was so nice to simply disconnect, relax, and re-charge.

When I got home I spent some time with LP who was moving to Dallas beginning of July. Mid-month I flew up to Montreal to spend some time with my mom while my dad went on a fishing trip with his friends in Chibougamau - actually about 600 miles north...

My mom and I hung out like two girls in the city! We walked around downtown, buzzed in an out of stores, accumulating bags along the way. Presents like a killer Napolean Red Lipstick to brighten things up a bit :-) We saw an amazing exhibit on Cuba! Art & History from 1868 to Today at the Montreal Museum of Fine Art. My favorite painter was Marcelo Pogolotti.

After visiting my Zaide we stopped at LaFleurs for a tasty steamer and p ou tine, which consists of french fries, gravy, and cheese curd. This Quebec tradition is so bad, yet so good...

My visit coincided with Grand Prix Montreal Weekend! Some sweet rides were seen zipping through the city and the streets were packed with people enjoying live music, vendors, and interactive events. We stayed with our cousins, the G's, in their fabulous deluxe apartment in the sky-high. Each morning started out with good coffee and a Montreal bagel...Next trip I need to leave ample room in my suitcase for the BAGS of bagels I will be toting home with me along with a few jars of full sour pickles...definitely a carry on item.


We hung out with family in Dollard and as I looked around I couldn't remember the last time we were all together. It was nice. My cousins each have families of their own and I got to meet my cousin B's newest addition K. Adorable.


I met up with life long friend JA in Montreal and we proceeded to drive home to New Hampshire and spend a fews days visiting and playing and exploring during great day trips. We decided to take the ferry over from NY to VT in an effort to hit some points of interest on the way. The ferry ride was great, although I wish it would have been a bit longer. Here are some of our stops during the remainder of my trip:
  • Burlington - cute little town in Vermont

  • Stowe - visiting the Stowe Craft Gallery. spoke with the owner and will be sending images and prices. this would be a lovely gallery to be represented by.

  • Ben & Jerry's - we arrived just in time before they closed! the ice cream was delicious and we enjoyed our cones outside. a soon to be disappointed couple wandered up from the parking area and were quite confused when they found the doors to be locked. if they had only arrived a few minutes earlier...tasty never tasted so good.
  • Newburyport, MA - met with owner of Chameleon Gallery and hope to be working with them soon. the owner purchased some pieces for herself. JA bought a great picture - a cheery memento and a lovely addition to his collection. We had a great lunch with a friend and drank killer Rasberry Mojitos! Dinner and drinks at the Portsmouth Brewery was a delicious decision.
  • Woodmans & Crane Beach - great day! JA drove towards Crane Beach and made some stops along the way. The Plan: Pick up seafood from Woodman's for a Crane Beach picnic. Woodman's is a tradition in Essex and has been around since 1914. I was in heaven...fried clam heaven. Apparently, we arrived not a moment too soon, as we were informed that shortly the line would extend down the street. Armed with to-go bags of tasty goodness and tartar sauce we headed for Crane Beach. Arriving in the late evening we hauled our goodies to the shore and enjoyed our feast with some contraband cocktails.
The day before I was leaving we headed into Boston and caught up with my cousin JG. I got to see her adorable house in Somerset and meet her dog Roxy. JG took us on a tour of her neighborhood and she pointed out a corner store by the name of Vinny's. However, this is no ordinary corner store. In the evenings the back opens as an absolutely amazing Italian restaurant - Vinny's At Night! Huge portions and true Sicilian style cooking. It was g-o-o-d!

This was a busy, but fun trip! A nice working getaway before a busy upcoming month~

No comments: