Friday, September 26, 2008

September Updates

Well, I have been a bad blogger with no updates for the month of September. Considering there were many blog-worthy posts that could've been written and many camera phone pix that could have been uploaded...well, better late than never :-)

1. Train NYC - I am a budding metalsmith/jewelry designer and decided to venture out into a major market - New York City! A shot of my booth is below.

This exclusive show has an international flavor and was set up in such a way that each designer had a chance to get face-time with buyers. For example, other shows have 100+ jewelry designers, which makes it hard to stand out in a sea of an already oversaturated segment. If I hear one more person tell me that their cousin Barbara Beader 'makes' (translates to assembles) jewelry...or their dog makes jewelry...really...

This show had just the right mix of designers in hats, shoes, clothing, etc...The Train section featured International Desginers and had a more high-fashion / couture flavor. The show was held in Terminal Stores located in Chelsea.

The 1891 warehouse space was, in its day, one of the only spaces with road, rail, and river access to accomodate freight from incoming cargo ships and rail cars. In the 90's it was turned into a club called The Tunnel and today it is a mixed use property used for a myriad of commercial endeavors.

Today, the ancient brick walls, heavy beams, and giant windows facing the Hudson River offer a unique atmosphere complete with rich history.

The show ran from 9/13-9/15. As I sat in the airport on 9/11 waiting for my flight I could not believe that the months of preparation and planning were about to come to fruition. My friend and fellow jewelry designer Anna Balkan were on the same flight and we departed from her parent's Brooklyn apartment (thanks Irina and Roman!) early in the morning on 9/12 to head to the show and begin setting up. On our way we stopped at the famous Gray's Papaya for a dog and some famous Papaya juice.

Show day arrived and the excitement was intense! Looking back the three days, and the whole trip, flew by! Some good business was written and I am happy. Ten fabulous boutiques across the country will now be carrying Dana Ruth hand-crafted jewelry - hooray!

We reserved 9/16 to make sales calls in the city. Anna and I walked all over the place and made contact with Barney's NY, Henri Bendel, museum stores, and a few more exclusive boutiques of notable mention. YAY!

2. Norcross Art Fest - I am getting ready for a great show being held 10/4-10/5 in historic, Norcross, GA. This show features work from the best and the brightest in the contemporary craft movement. Check out this small piece of press about some of the artists being showcased in an article written in Inside Gwinnett - http://tinyurl.com/3fcxkn

3. I had a nail in my tire so I brought it into my local NTB. After leaving I noticed that the technician who had worked on my wheel neglected to place it properly on the machinery, resulting in deep, horrible scratches on my rim :-(

A quick visit and chat with the manager yesterday and VOILA! A mobile rim refinishing/repair dude arrived at my studio today and re-finished my rim - YAY! I wish it wold not have happened in the first place, but it was handled to my satisfaction and in a timely manner without any hassle. Thanks Mike @ NTB - you rock!

4. My parental units arrived last week and we had a lovely visit! I always get a lot of stuff done while they visit and this time was no exception! My dad installed a security camera at my studio and hung up a great sign in the front of the building where I have space. My folks also sat and worked on some jewelry itmes for me and my mom helped me straighten up the mountain of papers and crap that accumulates on my desk and tables in the studio. I threw out 4 bags of old papers and garbage in the office loft and visually/mentally I am ready to tackle my 4th quarter and knock it on its ass. I am fighting tool and nail to not have to seek another cubicle job and this last quarter is pretty much all I have left.

No comments: